Choosing the Right Employment Relationship
Know your options and make informed business decisions when hiring new workers
There are several types of workplace arrangements available to Canadian organizations, each with its own risks and benefits to the business. The key to minimizing risk and maximizing opportunity and flexibility is to understand the options and make informed business decisions.
At this webinar you will learn about:
• What are the common pitfalls of hiring a fixed-term employee?
• How can an employer protect itself when hiring a fixed-term employee?
• What is the law in Canada?
• What statutory opportunities exist for unpaid internships?
• Consequences of a breach
• Who is and is not an independent contractor?
• Why does it matter?
• Liability resulting from misclassification.
• What are the labour and employment risks of staffing through a temporary employment agency?
PRESENTERS: Carol Chan and Brian Wasyliw, Sherrard Kuzz LLP
Carol Chan is a lawyer with Sherrard Kuzz LLP, a management-side labour and employment firm in Toronto. Carol’s practice specializes in areas such as attendance management, employee relations, employment contracts, employee screening and hiring, employment standards, accommodation, management training and policy development and implementation.
Brian Wasyliw is also a lawyer with Sherrard Kuzz LLP in Toronto, and his practice specializes in areas such as employment standards, employment contracts, human rights and accommodation, occupational health and safety, and wrongful and constructive dismissal litigation.
*Please note, this webinar is available for viewing for 7 days from date of enrollment.